The Natural Science track offers delegates the opportunity to learn about stem cell biology. The first course looks at aspects of the development of both embryonic stem cells and adult stem cells, while the second part of the course explores the discovery and biology of induced pluripotent stem cells, and the significance of its applications in revolutionising the future of medicine. Delegates are also introduced to cell transdifferentiation, the programming of one cell type into another such as the conversion of a skin cell into neuron.
Please note that if you select this track, you can only select courses from this track. You are welcome to extend your stay by combining courses – this track complements the STEM programme offered at the Summer Institute at Oriel College in Oxford.
Please note that topics and courses listed may be subject to change.APPLY NOW
About This Programme
|Length||You can attend for 2 weeks. Each week, you can select a different course. You can also combine with other courses and make your stay to 4, 6, or 8 weeks.|
|Available Dates||Summer Session 3: 02 August – 15 August 2020
Summer Session 4: 16 August – 29 August 2020
|Lectures, Exams & Credits||
Delegates will participate in one course per week.
An assignment will be given during each course (one examination per week). Course examination results will be listed in your official academic transcript. The workload of Cambridge Summer Institute is designed to be equivalent to:
– 6 ECTS (3 US credits) per two-week session
We will award each delegate who successfully graduates from the programme with a Certificate of Attendance and Achievement and an Academic Transcript.
The Academic Transcript will the following information:
– Courses attended and chosen lecture track
|Full Board Accommodation||
Single dormitory room with shared bathroom. Single ensuite room is available for additional 250 GBP each session.
The accommodation fee includes breakfast, lunch and dinner Monday to Friday. On weekends only breakfast will be served.
|Prerequisites||This is an open enrolment course, we recommend applicants to have prior knowledge or strong interest in the subject/course they are enrolling in.|
In addition to lectures given, this course also includes various extra-curricular activities such as social events & leisure activities and excursions to famous places and historical landmarks.
Learn more about Programme Information.
- Course Timetable
- Course Descriptions
- Course Faculty
* Academic Programme Particulars: Each session is comprised of two weeks of tuition.
* Delegates are welcome to participate in multiple sessions. Each week, students will participate in a course of their choice in their preferred track.
* Each track offers courses in one academic discipline.
* It is possible for delegates to choose a course that is not in their track.
* As the beginning of the programme nears, enrolled delegates will be asked to select their courses.
* Delegates will be assigned to courses, subject to availability. While we are able to allocate most students to their preferred courses, on some occasions students will be allocated their second choice.
* Delegates are welcome to extend their stay by participating in multiple sessions either in Oxford or our sister-programme Summer Institute at Oriel College, Oxford.
The Natural Science programme offered by the Cambridge Summer Institute, is designed for students and young professionals with an interest in Science. The programme offers its participants the opportunity to attend lectures and workshops delivered by esteemed Academics in the field of Science.
There is an opportunity to combine courses – this programme complements the STEM programme offered at the Summer Institute at Oriel College in Oxford. The focus of the programme is on Biochemistry – the study of chemical processes within living organisms, which forms the basis of studies in biology and medicine.
Please note that topics and courses listed may be subject to change.
1. Biology of stem cells
• Early embryonic development
-Origin of embryonic stem cells
• Embryonic Stem Cells
-Transcription factors regulating Embryonic stem cell identity
-Developmental potential of Embryonic stem cells
-Human Embryonic stem cells
• Adult Stem Cells
-Examples of adult stem cells
-Potential of adult stem cells
2. Biology and application of IPS Cells
• Induced pluripotent Stem Cells
-The discovery of induced pluripotent stem cells
-Potential of induced pluripotent stem cells
-Biology of induced pluripotency
-Methods of induced pluripotency
• Cell Transdifferentiation
-What is cell transdifferentiation
-The potential of cell transdifferentiation
For details please see our Faculty page: https://cambridgesummerinstitute.com/our-faculty/
Apply For This Programme
Applying for the Cambridge Summer Institute is easy, simply fill out an application form.
If you have additional questions, contact our Academic Advisors at firstname.lastname@example.org or call them at +44 2039 221 998. They will gladly guide you through your various options and assist with your booking.